Ian Duggan is a determined trial attorney who provides legal counsel to individuals, corporations, and organizations. In his practice, he represents elected officials, Fortune 500 companies, and people from all walks of life navigate challenging legal matters. An experienced trial attorney, Ian has tried more than 40 cases to verdict. His goal for every client is to maximize positive results—inside and outside the courtroom.
With a practice that focuses on complex litigation and helping clients overcome the most challenging legal obstacles, Ian’s recent experience includes the following representative matters,
- In 2018, after a nearly two-week jury trial, Ian secured a full acquittal for a doctor in a complex healthcare fraud prosecution in federal court.
- After a five-day civil jury trial in 2019, Ian secured a six-figure verdict against the State of South Carolina in an inverse condemnation and trespass case.
- In 2019, Ian secured a seven-figure settlement for his client in a complex, multi-state business dispute involving fraud and trademark infringement allegations.
- Beginning in 2019, Ian represented a client who was arrested, falsely accused of crimes, physically assaulted, and restrained by a South Carolina Sheriff. Ian’s advocacy in court on his client’s behalf led to a six-figure settlement and the dismissal of charges and expungement of his client’s criminal record.
- Beginning in 2020, Ian served as counsel for a company operating on the South Carolina coast. Navigating his client through negotiations with multiple government agencies, Ian represented this small business in three separate legal proceedings—successfully securing a directed verdict, summary judgment, and settlement of an appeal on his client’s behalf.
- In 2020, Ian secured the dismissal of a fraud claim against a professional-client in federal court.
- In 2021, after three years of litigation, Ian secured a seven-figure settlement for a whistleblower who alleged fraud and other violations of the law by a former employer.
- In 2021, Ian represented a military officer in court-martial proceedings. His advocacy led to the dismissal of multiple felony charges and the preservation of retirement benefits for his client after 30+ years of military service.
Before joining Callison Tighe in 2017, Ian was an officer in the U.S. Air Force. Serving tours of duty as a judge advocate in Afghanistan, Turkey, and Qatar, Ian was recognized as one of the top trial advocates in the Air Force and prosecuted and defended some of the service’s highest-profile criminal cases. After separating from active duty, Ian served as a senior trial and appellate counsel for the United States Air Force in a reserve officer capacity. In 2019, he became a South Carolina Air National Guard officer. Today, Ian serves as the Staff Judge Advocate for the 169th Fighter Wing at McEntire Joint National Guard Base, charged with providing legal support to a fighter command of over 1000 Airmen and their families.
Though raised in Virginia, Ian considers South Carolina home. He came to the state to attend Furman University, where he graduated with a bachelor’s degree in history in 2007. Ian received his Juris Doctor from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 2010. He has been a recipient of the South Carolina Supreme Court’s “Pro Bono Honor Roll” since its inception.
Disclaimer: The foregoing examples are intended only to be representative of Mr. Duggan’s practice. These examples are not intended, and cannot be relied upon, to predict the results in any other case.