Alex Weatherly has over 35 years’ experience helping business owners, professionals and other individuals create and implement strategies to protect and plan for the ultimate disposition of their financial resources. He provides services ranging from individual tax, estate and asset protection planning to business tax and ownership transition planning, including business formation, expansion, dissolution, exit, and merger, acquisition, and divestiture planning and implenentation.
Additionally, he represents clients facing challenges associated with trust creation and administration, and probating estates, including postmortem tax and estate planning. He regularly works with high net worth individuals in connection with such matters. He also can help with guardianship or conservatorship planning for those caring for children or incapacitated adults.
He has significant experience in assisting with tax planning and legal entity governance issues affecting partnerships, corporations, limited liability companies and tax-exempt organizations. He’s licensed to appear before the U.S. Tax Court and has represented clients before the IRS and state taxing authorities.
A native of Sumter, Alex holds a bachelor’s degree in business, with an emphasis on finance and accounting, from The Citadel. He earned his juris doctor from the University of South Carolina School of Law.
He has taught numerous Continuing Legal Education programs on estate and tax planning for attorneys and certified public accountants.
- South Carolina
- U.S. Tax Court
- Certified Exit Planning Advisor, The Exit Planning Institute, 2020
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Juris Doctor, 1986
- The Citadel, bachelor’s in business with an emphasis on finance and accounting, 1980
- American Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar
- Richland County Bar
- Columbia Estate Planning Council
- AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers in America, Trusts and Estates, Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law, 2021 & 2023
- Former Certified Public Accountant (SC)
- Represented international business clients in domestication and other local South Carolina matters
- Estate planning and administration for high net-worth Clients
- Represented clients in mergers, acquisitions and divestitures in various industries including healthcare, financial services, manufacturing, transportation and environmental remediation.
- Has taught multiple Continuing Legal Education seminars for attorneys and accountants on the topics of estate and business planning