A certified mediator and arbitrator and experienced litigator, Mike Tighe has represented title insurers and their insureds, as well as lenders and major developers, in real estate-related litigation in state and federal courts in South Carolina, and in transactional matters since 1971.
In fact, his peers often call him to testify as an expert witness on real estate and title insurance related issues. He also frequently addresses Continuing Legal Education and Judicial Continuing Legal Education seminars, as well as trade group programs. The topic usually is real estate, although he has spoken on law office management and litigation matters.
A native of Columbia, Mike studied as an undergraduate program for only two years at the University of South Carolina, completing his bachelor’s degree during his first year at the University of South Carolina School of Law. While in law school, he was admitted to Phi Beta Kappa, served as Editor-in-Chief of the South Carolina Law Review, and Chief Justice of the Order of Wig and Robe. After graduating first in his law school class, he served as a law clerk to Chief Judge Clement F. Haynsworth, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
Mike then was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force. For four years while in the military, he served as trial or defense counsel in numerous special and general courts-martial. He was an assistant attorney general for two years after leaving the Air Force. In 1971, he went into private practice.
In addition to being a practicing attorney, Mike is a timber farmer and manager of a stream mitigation credit bank.
- U.S. Claims Court, 1990
- U.S. Tax Court, 1971
- South Carolina Supreme Court, 1964
- U.S. Court of Military Appeals, 1966
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit, 1965
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina, 1964
- South Carolina
- South Carolina Supreme Court Certified Mediator
- South Carolina Supreme Court Certified Arbitrator
- University of South Carolina School of Law (L.L.B. 1964)
- University of South Carolina (B.A. 1962, English)
- Best Lawyers in America, Lawyer of the Year, Real Estate Litigation, Columbia Metropolitan Area, 2015, 2017 and 2020; Lawyer of the Year, Real Estate Law, Columbia Metropolitan Area, 2018;
- Best Lawyers in America, Real Estate Law and Litigation – Real Estate Law, 2012 to present
- South Carolina Super Lawyers, 2012-18, Real Estate Law; 2019, Real Estate Law, Business/Corporate Law, Business Litigation; 2020-present, Real Estate Law
- Legal Elite of the Midlands, Banking and Finance, 2010-11, 2013-14; Commercial Real Estate, 2016 and 2019-2020
- Honored in SCBIZ Magazine’s Power List – Real Estate Attorneys
DISCLAIMER: THE FOLLOWING EXAMPLES ARE INTENDED ONLY TO BE REPRESENTATIVE OF MR. TIGHE’S PRACTICE. MR. TIGHE IS SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS CONTENT. THESE EXAMPLES ARE NOT INTENDED TO, AND CANNOT BE RELIED UPON TO PREDICT THE RESULTS IN ANY OTHER CASE.
- Clemson University Vietnam Moratorium Committee v. Clemson University, 306 F. Supp. 129 (D.S.C. 1969).
- Lewis v. Gaddy, 254 S.C. 66, 173 S.E.2d 376 (1970).
- State v. Jordan, 255 S.C. 86, 177 S.E.2d 464 (1970)
- State v. Holliday, 255 S.C. 142, 177 S.E.2d 541 (1970)
- Hartness v. Patterson, 255 S.C. 503, 179 S.E.2d 907 (1971)
- Holler v. Ellisor, 259 S.C. 283, 191 S.E.2d 509 (1972)
- Congaree Broadcasters, Inc. v. TM Programming, Inc., 436 F. Supp. 258 (D.S.C. 1977)
- Redwood Food Corp. v. Baker, 269 S.C. 528, 238 S.E.2d 214 (1977)
- Crystal Ice Co. v. First Colonial Corp., 273 S.C. 306, 257 S.E.2d 496 (1979).
- Volkswagenwerk AG v. Hoffman, 489 F. Supp. 678 (D.S.C. 1980)
- Sellars v. First Colonial Corp., 276 S.C. 548, 280 S.E.2d 805 (1981)
- Allendale Furniture Co. v. Carolina Commercial Bank, 284 S.C. 76, 325 S.E.2d 530(1985).
- Shoney’s, Inc. v. Cooke, 291 S.C. 307, 353 S.E.2d 300 (Ct. App. 1987)
- Gilstrap v. S.C. Budget & Control Bd., 310 S.C. 210, 423 S.E.2d 101 (1992)
- Lazerson v. Hilton Head Hosp., 312 S.C. 211, 439 S.E.2d 836 (1994)
- Chicago Title Ins. Co. v. Resolution Trust Corp., 868 F. Supp. 135 (D.S.C.1994)
- Midfirst Bank v. C.W. Haynes & Co., 893 F. Supp. 1304 (D.S.C. 1994)
- First Fed. Sav. Bank v. Stewart Title Guar. Co., 317 S.C. 131, 451 S.E.2d 916 (Ct. App. 1994)
- TCX, Inc. v. Commonwealth Land Title Ins. Co., 928 F. Supp. 618 (D.S.C. 1995)
- MI Co. v. McLean, 325 S.C. 616, 482 S.E.2d 597 (Ct. App. 1997)
- Clinton David, Inc. v. Lawyers Title Ins. Corp., No. 98-1305, 1999 WL 125721 (4th Cir. March 10, 1999)
- Anton v. General Elec., Co., 2000 WL 1713945 (4th Cir. November 16, 2000).
- WRB L.P. v. County of Lexington, 369 S.C. 30, 630 S.E.2d 479 (2006)
- Stearns Bank N.A. v. Glenwood Falls, LP, 373 S.C. 331, 644 S.E. 2d 793 (Ct. App.2007).
- Stearns Bank Nat’l Ass’n v. Glenwood Falls, LP, 375 S.C. 423, 653 S.E.2d 274, (2007).