Commercial Transactions & Real Estate Development
Callison Tighe’s Commercial Real Estate Transactions and Real Estate Development practice represents clients in matters that include: structuring, negotiating, closing, restructuring and working out loans, leases and other credit transactions; the assemblage of raw land for residential, commercial and mixed use development; resolution of issues relating to due diligence, governmental entitlements, title clearance, land use and zoning; preparation of public and private development agreements; drafting and negotiating complex leases, management and sale and buy back agreements; negotiation and structuring of conservation easements; forming 501(c)(3) tax exempt, non-profit companies; closing IRC Section 1031 tax deferred exchanges and reverse like-kind exchanges; and representing owners in real and personal property tax appeals. Team members collaborate with attorneys in other practice areas of the firm, such as civil litigation, construction law, business law, taxation, and environmental and regulatory law.
- Representative engagements include:
Counsel for large regional shopping center developer in the restructuring of its various business entities and the refinancing of approximately $90 million of existing debt secured by retail centers in South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia;
- Representation of state agencies in the acquisition and development of the first public-private state farmers’ market in South Carolina;
- Counsel to developers of national retail shopping centers throughout the Southeast for the acquisition, development, leasing and subsequent sales for these centers
Counsel for major title insurance companies’ national business units in local transactions; providing title services, enforceability opinions and closing and disbursement services;
- Negotiation and closing of securitized loans for various commercial property owners, with holdings ranging from hotels, shopping centers and single tenant properties;
Counsel for transactions involving numerous types of commercial assets including mixed use, residential, retail, hotel, golf course and industrial properties throughout South Carolina and the Southeast;
- Counsel in commercial leasing transactions (representing both landlords and tenants) involving office, retail, restaurant and industrial properties, as well as long term development-oriented ground leases;
- Representation of privately or closely held companies and individuals in the acquisition, financing, development, leasing and resale of personalty and real estate.
Callison Tighe works closely with the Eastern Title Agency to provide title insurance through several national and regional title insurance companies. We issue title insurance commitments and policies, coordinate title examinations and close transactions for local and national servicers and clients.